Chinese Using the Word "Dead" or "Die" for Exasperrating Situations


As a Chinese of Hokkien descent, I'm really not going to deny how often the word "si" or "death" was used in connection to exasperation. I hear the expression "ya si yo" to express how one is sick and tired. I remember saying "Ya si yo" when meeting people I knew I couldn't get anything out of them except useless gossip

The meme I got from Bahay Tsinoy also made me think of using "death" to overemphasize. I don't think it's just limited to Fujian Chinese. I got into Chinese Grammar Wiki and found this interesting note:
In English, you might use the expression "you scared me to death!" In Chinese, 死了 (sǐ le) is used similarly to intensify an adjective with an unpleasant connotation.

It's pretty much a hyperbole. A good example would be like:

  • 我 饿 死了. (Wǒ è sǐ le) which means "Hungry to death". 
This would be another important tool in studying the Chinese language and culture. More often, the Chinese people tend to connect the word death (either in Mandarin or Amoy) to exaggerate the situation, to the point that they feel like they're going to die. 

I decided to use Google Lens and get the Chinese words. So far, they're legitimate translations. I guess it's not just among the Hokkiens but as a huge part of Chinese culture. 

Popular posts from this blog

Was Cesar Virata's Position as "Prime Minister" the Best Proof That a Parliamentary System Won't Work in the Philippines?

Shifting to the Parliamentary System is Better than Banning Political Dynasties

REAL TALK: The Liberal Party of the Philippines Can ONLY Become The Genuine Opposition Under A Genuine Parliamentary Constitution

Rare Interview Footage of Ninoy Aquino and Doy Laurel in Japan, Reveal Marcos Years Were NEVER a Legitimate Parliamentary System

Lee Kuan Yew and Mahathir Mohamad: Just a Matter of Strong Leadership Without a Good System?

The Vizconde Massacre and Trial by "Trust Me Bro"?

Was the Late John Regala Interviewed by the Directors of "Give Up Tomorrow"?

Trust Me Bro: The 1987 Constitution is the Best in the World!

Ifugao OFWs in Taiwan and Discovering More About One's Common Austronesian Roots

Can Anti-Reformists Prove to the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy That the Marcos Regime was a Real Parliamentary?