Why Using CTTO Isn't a Valid Source at All


Right now, I'm having an argument with a certain old man (wearing a toga, presumably graduating from a doctorate degree) on Facebook. One thing I noticed in some of his Facebook posts is the use of CTTO more often than not. Maybe, I can start giving a sample of his arguments since there are many. One of his posts would go like this:
All nations have protectionist policies, its their inherent rights. It is the role of the business to use strategies to work within these policies.... ctto...

Back then, I remembered I erroneously used Yahoo as a source in my high school term paper. Later on, a college professor placed an X mark on Yahoo and Google as a source. It's because Google nad Yahoo are search engines. Now, we have CTTO which means Credit To The Owner. If we're to really credit the owner, why not post a link or acknowledge the site where it was taken from? For example, the meme above is by 8LIST.PH. 

It's very eays to say CTTO to make myself look smart. However, I can say CTTO all I want and not have any valid sources at all. I can say all I want that "studies show" and CTTO and I never read any of the studies at all. It's like this old man can say, "Do you know Switzerland is a protectionist country? CTTO." I say, "Where are the source?" The person will just reply CTTO. So where are these "tons of studies" if all he cites is CTTO. That's just plain intellectual dishonesty.

Any proper usage such as citation or context needs the source. If I'm going to quote Kishore Mahbubani from a video, it'd be best for me to say that I got it from The Singapore Economic Model - VPRO Documentary 2009 to cite my source. Meanwhile, the old man seeking to back up Hilario Davide Jr and the Monsods up would probably give more CTTO than valid sources. If anything, CTTO might be better worked as a temporary accreditation especially if certain works are meant for free domain use. Quoting Mabhubani, Mohamad, and LKY will give me more credibility to my writing than just simply CTTO.

If I'm going to prove that Singapore never self-industrialized and other nations (rich in natural resources) learned from it, I could cite that it was from the late Lee Kuan Yew's book From Third World to First. As much as possible, I should cite the pages for easier reference to the readers. I could cite how LKY figured out what's wrong with the development economists of his day vs. what the late Albert Winsemius recommended.

Also, using a disclaimer should be done as much as possible. That is by saying, "This book isn't mine. It actually belongs to (insert author)." In the fair use policy, one can list the makers of the show, the documentary, etc. to give proper accreditation that it was all for fair use. CTTO just wouldn't help at all in contrast to citing every last author. 

The usage of CTTO in excess might be an attempt to look brilliant. The person may want to give the illusion that he or she has "tons of studies". Yes, it's possible to say "studies show..." but the studies are either faulty or non-existent. That's why I really feel like that they're ridiculing Philippine Senator Robin Padilla--it's to cover their own insecurities

Popular posts from this blog

Was Cesar Virata's Position as "Prime Minister" the Best Proof That a Parliamentary System Won't Work in the Philippines?

Shifting to the Parliamentary System is Better than Banning Political Dynasties

REAL TALK: The Liberal Party of the Philippines Can ONLY Become The Genuine Opposition Under A Genuine Parliamentary Constitution

Rare Interview Footage of Ninoy Aquino and Doy Laurel in Japan, Reveal Marcos Years Were NEVER a Legitimate Parliamentary System

Lee Kuan Yew and Mahathir Mohamad: Just a Matter of Strong Leadership Without a Good System?

The Vizconde Massacre and Trial by "Trust Me Bro"?

Was the Late John Regala Interviewed by the Directors of "Give Up Tomorrow"?

Trust Me Bro: The 1987 Constitution is the Best in the World!

Ifugao OFWs in Taiwan and Discovering More About One's Common Austronesian Roots

Can Anti-Reformists Prove to the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy That the Marcos Regime was a Real Parliamentary?