Robin Padilla's Latest Decision May be Proof I Don't Need to Run for Office to Promote Constitutional Reform
Yes, it's true, and Senator Robin Padilla announced that he no longer plans to run for office. Please take note that I'm for constitutional reform, but I didn't vote for him. My reason for not voting for him was that I'm sick and tired of actors and athletes occupying the legislature. Honestly, I was already upset about how the current 1987 Constitution of the Philippines has allowed actors and athletes to become lawmakers, and then most of them don't have any idea about the job of a legislator. I ask, "If you think the problem isn't systemic, you better ask yourself what enabled Robin Padilla to become a senator, when the guy has no idea how to legislate?"
My stance on constitutional reform doesn't rise or fall with a person. I have withdrawn support from former president Atty. Rodrigo R. Duterte. If Mayor Maria Leonor "Leni" Gerona-Robredo supports it, I'm willing to support her and withdraw if she doesn't. I felt Robin was a poor platform for constitutional reform within the Senate walls. However, I still think Robin could do better as an activist like the late Charles "Carlos" P. Celdran. Carlos never ran for office, but he kept voicing how outdated the 1987 Constitution of the Philippines is for this day and age.
There are other activists who never sought office. I thought about Jose Rizal. Rizal never ran for office either. Rizal decided to write controversial essays under many names, like Dimasalang, May Pag-asa, and Laong Laan, for the Spanish newspaper of his day, La Solidaridad. Rizal took the major risk of publishing two of his controversial novels, Noli Me Tangere and El Filibusterismo. Rizal also warned about violence when he chose El Filibusterismo's tragic ending, when Simoun, formerly Crisostomo Ibarra, poisoned himself when the bomb plot failed.
Will my blogging make a difference or not? I might be having the same questions that Rizal may have asked himself when he wasn't in the digital age. Right now, I have Blogger, and I'm just relying on a free domain. However, it might be better to be that lone voice in the dark without a mass base than to have a mass base and be in the wrong. Truth remains the same regardless of what the public believes.
